3-5 cartoonists who aren't unknown but aren't discussed as much as you think they should be by VICTOR KERLOW
PRINT AS WRITTEN WITH MY CAPS LOCK AND THIS PART TOO
1. milo manara- THIS GUY IS THE BEST, and it doesnt matter if i feel like a creepy dad reading his comics, they are SO GOOD. I dont think I've ever even read a full comic of his adventure ones, fuck that. Im all about Click, BUtterstotch, Hidden Camera, Shorts, shit like THAT obviousllyyy. They might be hard to get your hands on, but if you find them at Time Machine (207 W 14th ST) or some other great comic place or if you come over to my apartment to hang, check them out, and you wont be dissapointed.. Unless you hate great comics where smoking babes (AND GUYS, DONT WORRY) get crazy and nude. Plus he did that awesome X- Babe comic.. which is DEFINITELY available for like 3 bucks on amazon or whatever.
2. christophe blain- OKAY ALRIGHT! SUPER FANS OF THIS SITE might already know how comic great guy EXRTRAODINAIRE Josh Fish Hooks Burggraf wrote about how incredible Christophe Blain is, but Josh mainly just mentioned GUS- Which, while I am a fan, that is NO WAY my fave comic of his. ISAAC THE PIRATE is like, THE BEST comic I have read in a very long time. It is serialized in a weird way, and the whole thing isnt available in English (LAME) but maybe learn some french or spanish and you can find out how the adventure ends. It is one of those comics that actually (NOT LITERALLY) has you on the edge of your chair/sofa, and you have to hit yourself in teh face to keep your eyes from scanning the far page so you dont get the awesome story ruined or anything. Man, the drawings are so great and perfectly simple when they need to be, and never get too simple and uneducated looking and ALSO never get too crazy and detailed and overwhelming and bad. LOVE ISAAC THE PIRATE.
3. dan lowes, BUT ONLY ice haven- Dan Clowes, I hear he's a popular guy in the comics world, huh? Yeah he seems pretty great, and without him, the world would have never cared about Scarlett Johanssen's boobs, so even before I address his comics, he's already got that going for him. Okay, okay, comics, comics. I have read a few comics by Dan Clowes and I wasnt really blown away by any of them. JUST so you know, I never read Eightball cause the format and all the tiny words made me bored. Sorry Im such an idiot or whatever. I think Mister Wonderful was depressing with no redeeming values.. HEY. BUT. WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY IS: Wilson was interesting with that whole page-by-page storytelling, but ICE HAVEN ROCKED!!!!! I loved it. And since you probz dont value my opinion after I didnt piss my pants right off the bat for Dan Clowes, Im not even gonna tell you why.
4. cowboy henk by Kamagurka & Herr Seele- Okay you know you love this comic strip! The drawings rock and its kinda just like a whackkyy Tintin or something. Funny visual one liners drawn by two crazy foreign dudes who loves pseudonyms. I mean, look at how "80s clever" these comics are:
5. TEX- Mark Texiera is a guy who loves ignoring fans and ogling the Comic Con babes instead. Thats cool, no biggie. Even if he's kind of a dick, he still draws the most ROCKIN Ghost Rider and Wolverine comics I can remember. OKAY OKAY DISAGREE WITH ME.
Victor Kerlow was born, raised and educated in New York City and
continues to live there, drawing full time. His clients include The New
Yorker, The New York Times, IFC Films, The Criterion Collection, The
Believer, Poetry Magazine, Creative Time, MTV and Random House, and his
comics have also been included in Fantagraphics’ Mome, Yeti magazine,
Vice Magazine, and The Best American Comics 2011. See more of his work
at victorkerlow.com and choppedintwo.blogspot.com